Taught by: Miss Rayen Naji BA (Hons), London and Mrs Samia Djabellah BSc (Hons), Manchester.
Aims & Objectives
In P.E our aim is to provide an interesting and varied programme of activities that are physically demanding and challenging and satisfy the following objectives:
- To improve and maintain good fitness and health of students;
- To develop good team skills and nurture a positive social atmosphere;
- To manage stress and develop good mental health;
- To understand the components of health and fitness;
- To build confidence when faced with challenges;
- To build links with other schools and the wider community;
- Our PE department endeavors to support, contribute to and complement the mission statement of Islamia Girls’ school. We promote sensible behaviour and responsible attitudes towards safety. We also try to develop our girls ability to appreciate their strengths and be aware of their weaknesses and to strive to maintain the former and come over the latter.
Our girls receive one hour of P.E. per week throughout Key Stage 3 and 4. They follow different activities throughout the year with each activity lasting from four to six weeks. They are assessed and given a level for each activity at the end of this period.
Our activities cover four areas of the National Curriculum; Games, Gymnastics, Outdoor Education and Fitness. We focus on the Team Sports module (see P.E. Content ) and gymnastics, with self-defense provided as an optional extra-curricular club.
Annual trip: This is one afternoon around a timetabled PE lesson, in which girls are introduced to a specialised sporting activity such as horse-riding or archery. It will involve years 7-10 and will be held in the summer term.
This is usually held in the final week of the academic year, with various competitions between the classes and between the 3 houses. Prizes are awarded on the day to the winners.
Annual Sports Award
This is awarded to the student, chosen from any class, who, in the opinion of the P.E. teachers, has shown the most flair and ability throughout the year. The award is one of many presented in the Annual Prize-Giving Day, in the final week of the summer term, and is included in the Annual Awards board displayed of the school.
All students must wear:
- Grey jogging bottoms that has to be purchased from the school, the PE jumper that is in the students' school houses' colours and has the school Logo. This also has to be ordered from the school.
Health & Safety
At least one teacher in the PE department has undertaken First Aid training.